Stockton Parish Church

Project Summary

Stockton Parish Church was built in 1710-12 in post-Wren classical style, built of red brick with buff sandstone dressings. The chancel was rebuilt in 1904-6 and the lady chapel was added in 1925. The church sits in a prime position in the High Street in Stockton and on a key pedestrian route between the High Street, library and leisure centre and other community services. It is therefore in a very good location to benefit from the regeneration initiatives which Stockton Borough Council is developing for the High Street and also to fulfil a role as the main church for the main civic events in the town.

The Church has been a willing participant in Inspired Futures from the start. It was not selected as a Group 1 church in the process not because there wasn’t a clear need, but because the project consultants considered that the Church’s view that heritage was not a priority for the church was seen as a potential constraint to benefiting fully from being a Group 1 church. However, as a result of two other Durham Group 2 churches deciding they could not proceed with Stage 2 of the project, the opportunity was taken in 2017 to offer a ‘Group 2+’ level of support to help the church progress their project.

This was gratefully accepted and the Durham Project Officer began a more intensive engagement with the church designed initially to support them in bidding to the National Churches Trust for a Project Development Grant to undertake a viability assessment of their plans. The recent designation of Stockton Parish as one of Durham Diocese's Resource Churches has added further momentum to the project. Meanwhile the church's participation in the Inspired Futures project has secured:

  • A Way Forward report
  • A Heritage Assessment
  • A Statement of Significance
  • A Viability Appraisal
  • Physical development options
  • Selected a preferred physical development option.

Project documents