Inspired Futures is helping a number of churches in the North East of England with historic buildings to develop opportunities for heritage conservation, improvements to facilities and access, and open up potential for wider community use.
The project is working with six churches (Group 1) to develop sustainable futures using the creativity and expertise of a team of volunteers and professionals. The team will help with everything from developing business plans and looking at ways forward with repairs, to building on fundraising opportunities and new ways to engage communities in their heritage. Enabling more diverse use of these church buildings alongside their traditional worship role will lead to more stable and sustainable futures, with more users contributing towards upkeep, maintenance and running costs.
The project is also working with 12 other churches (Group 2) that were involved in Stage 1. These are receiving further significant support to encourage them to continue their local project momentum, including mentoring and advice to help them to review their local priorities and carry out project plans and heritage activities.
All of the participating churches will also have free access to a programme of advice surgeries, workshops and training events.
Group 1 churches
Three of the Group 1 churches are in Newcastle Diocese:
And three are in Durham Diocese:
Group 2 churches
Six of the Group 2 churches receiving such support are in Newcastle Diocese:
- Our Lady, Delaval, NE26 4QR, Listed Grade I
- St Mary & St Michael’s Doddington, NE71 6AL, Listed Grade I
- St Michael’s Alnham, NE66 4TL, Listed Grade I
- St Cuthbert’s Haydon Bridge, NE47 6JX, Listed Grade II* and Haydon Old Church
- St Augustine’s Alston, CA9 3AA, Listed Grade II
And six are in Durham Diocese:
- St Andrew's Auckland, DL14 6SP, Listed Grade I
- St Edmund Sedgefield, TS21 3AT, Listed Grade I
- St Michaels Heighington, DL5 6PP, Listed Grade I
- St Thomas Stockton, TS18 1SP, Listed Grade I
- St John Darlington, DL1 4AB, Listed Grade II
- St Oswalds Hartlepool, TS24 8EY, Listed Grade II